About Me

My photo
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
I completed the 2016 Summer Program in the School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles. I received a BS Degree in Radio/TV from ASU and a MA Degree in Technical and Expository Writing from UALR. As a Cancer Survivor and a Widow, I hope I can help others through my Blog http://leslieinlittlerock.blogspot.com/ Twitter @leslieinlr and Instagram @leslieinlittlerock accounts.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

McDonald's & Memories

The FTC requires me to tell you that I am being compensated for this blog post but all opinions expressed here and the memories are my own.

OK, I can't remember anything from my 8th grade Algebra class and occasionally I forget to pay my utility bills, but for some reason I can recite every word from a McDonald's television commercial about the Big Mac sandwich that aired in 1975 when I was 14 years old.

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun


Big Mac


Four years later, during the summer of 1979, I worked at the McDonald's restaurant on Geyer Spring Road in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was the summer before my senior year in high school and I enjoyed every minute of it. Teenagers who lived in Southwest Little Rock would 'cruise Geyer Springs Road' every Friday and Saturday night. This means that they would drive down the street, go through the McDonald's parking lot and then do it all over again, hoping to see other classmates hanging out as well on a weekend night.

While working at McDonald's, I met cute boys, gained several new friends and also learned important life lessons. I was taught to greet every customer with a smile, how to count back change without a calculator or computerized register and to turn the bills the same way in the cash drawer so they stayed organized. I also discovered the importance of a strong work ethic that continued through college and over 25 years of working in various professions.

Photo of the McDonald's on Geyer Springs Road that appeared in the
1978-1979 Wilbur D. Mills High School Yearbook
Courtesy of C. Genty - Yearbook Editor



Once I got married in 1986, my husband, Stewart, who was from Kentucky, and I drove to the Lexington area every Thanksgiving or Christmas to visit his family for the holidays and stopped at McDonald's in several states. When our two daughters were born and we began taking family vacations together, we always knew we could count on McDonald's to offer many food choices and a great place to visit on trips. From McDonald's in Florida and Washington, D.C. to California and even in Hawaii, we enjoyed every McDonald's on our journeys. And even though my husband passed away suddenly three years ago, I still have my memories.

McDonald's represents good family food and fun!


In October I was invited by the Arkansas Women Bloggers organization to attend a special event at the Midtown McDonald's located at 104 South University Avenue in Little Rock. At this event, fellow bloggers and I were able find out about the new Chef Crafted Menu, which is being offered to only three test markets in the United States. And we also met Ronald McDonald!

Me with Ronald McDonald!
October 1, 2015

We each ordered our pick of the new Chef Crafted Menu, which allowed us to customize our own sandwich!






  • Step 1 - Choose your flavor

    • Maple Bacon Dijon - Maple-Smoked Bacon, Grilled Onions, Lettuce, Mild Dijon Sauce, & White Cheddar Cheese
    • Pico Guacamole - Zesty Ranch Sauce, White Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Creamy Guacamole, and Pico de Gallo
    • Buffalo Bacon - Creamy Blue Cheese Spread, Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Tomato, Lettuce, and Buffalo Sauce

  • Step 2 - Choose your bun
    • Artisan Roll
    • Toasted Sesame Seed Bun
  • Step 3 - Choose your meat
    • Quarter Pound 100% Pure Beef Burger
    • Artisan Grilled Chicken
    • Buttermilk Crispy Chicken

According to Audriana Brown, Shift Manager at the Midtown McDonald's, these are the three most popular choices at that location:

Artisan Grilled Chicken with Pico Guacamole on Artisan Roll




Pure Beef Burger with Maple Bacon Dijon on Artisan Roll





 

Buttermilk Crispy Chicken with Buffalo Bacon on Sesame Seed Bun




You can also enter a contest by voting for your favorite Chef Crafted Sandwich. Just click on "Pick One. Win 52" by 12/20/2015 to register your information and access the Voting Form to select one of the following three options:


  1. Maple Bacon Dijon
  2. Buffalo Bacon
  3. Pico Guacamole
Each entrant will then receive a coupon in the mail for a free Medium order of Fries and a Medium Soft Drink with purchase.



At the end of the sweepstakes one Grand Prize winner will receive a year's worth of sandwiches! 


Happy Holidays from Audriana Brown of the Midtown McDonald's!


Special Thanks to Audriana Brown, Shift Manager of the Midtown McDonald's for providing the information for this blog entry and to my 18-year-old daughter, Sara, a Freshman Journalism/New Media Student at the University of Mississippi for taking the food photos.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Didn't know they had this!

    ReplyDelete