My family and I have always loved watching movies, seeing plays, and going to concerts together. This summer, my oldest daughter attended school out of town while my youngest daughter participated in several out of state summer programs and camps. So I found myself going with friends to see some wonderful productions during the summer months!
|Rodgers & Hammerstein's OKLAHOMA! |
Murry's Dinner Playhouse - Thursday, July 24, 2014
- I loved the musical Oklahoma! the first time I watched it on television years ago and listened to the soundtrack on a vinyl record album every night as a child at bedtime. My two daughters and I performed in the musical as part of a church production in 2002, I've watched Hugh Jackman's performance on PBS as Curly in the National Theater of London's 1998 Production, and have seen the musical performed twice in the past 12 years at Murry's Dinner Playhouse in Little Rock. The current production, including the "Oklahoma Chuck Wagon Dinner Buffet" runs through August 30 and features outstanding actors, excellent set design and all the songs I fell in love with years ago as a little girl! For more information, visit the Murry's website at http://murrysdp.com/.
Stickyz in the River Market - Thursday, July 24, 2014
- Following the performance of Oklahoma! at Murry's Dinner Playhouse, I drove downtown at 10:00 at night to watch the Little Rock band, SOULution perform in concert at Stickyz Rock "N" Roll Chicken Shack. SOULution is an up and coming local band that plays "Neo Soul Music" and features members Jordan Craighead, Kamille Shaw, Korey Fells, Braelon Leniear, Ashton Hollowell, Shawn Womack, Steve Colb, and Sam Clark. Sam is the son of my good friends Shawn and Kenny Clark and I've watched him and his two sisters grow up in our church for many years. The group is amazing and plays covers of current hits such as "Rude" by Magic! along with jazz songs and ballads. There were many members of all ages of our church watching Sam and the band perform and I had a great time! Check out the SOULution Facebook page for upcoming gigs at https://www.facebook.com/pages/SOULution-Little-Rock-Music/429112157145797.
|Godspell - Summer Musical Theatre Intensive (SMTI)|
Arkansas Repertory Theatre - Friday, July 18, 2014
- Every summer, the Arkansas Repertory Theatre in Little Rock offers a training program for young artists including instruction in musical theatre techniques, multi-media, costume and stage make-up, dance and vocal coaching. Both my daughters have friends who have participated in the two groups: Junior Session (ages 13-15) and Senior Session (ages 16-23). This summer SMTI performed the classic musical, Godspell, and added popular tunes, including "Counting Stars" by One Republic, to the existing song selections. It always amazes me to watch such talented teens who can sing, dance and act! For more information, visit The Rep at http://www.therep.org/.
DeSota Family Theatre - Sunday, July 13, 2014
Landers Center Theater - Southaven, Mississippi
|Here's a picture of me with Jeff Smith, my friend from our college days at |
Arkansas State University in Jonesboro who is Chairman of the DFT Board of Directors
and one of the DFT Founders.
- I chose not to see the 2012 Academy Award winning motion picture, Les Misérables, (because I thought it would be too sad!) and I have never seen any of the musical productions of Les Misérables, until July 13, 2014. I drove to Southaven, Mississippi, a suburb of Memphis, to watch the show presented by the DeSoto Family Theatre, of which my friend Jeff is Chairman of the DFT Board of Directors and one of the DFT Founders. I was speechless during the entire production. The acting, the singing, the stage design and costumes, everything was amazing. I enjoyed seeing the play and also enjoyed attending the cast party after the performance! For more information about upcoming scheduled plays, visit the DeSoto Family Theatre website at http://dftonline.org/.
|Night of the Proms|
Featuring Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald,
The Pointer Sisters and Nile Rodgers & Chic
Verizon Arena, North Little Rock, AR - Friday, June 20, 2014
- What can I say? Kenny Loggins, who sang hit songs in the popular movies "Footloose" and "Top Gun" in the 1980's; Michael McDonald of The Doobie Brothers; the fabulous Pointer Sisters (original members sisters Ruth & Anita Pointer along with Ruth's 30-year-old granddaughter, Sadako Pointer); multiple Grammy award winning producer Niles Rodgers and 70's sensation Chic (who sang one of my all-time favorite songs "Le Freak" in 1978) on the same stage with Belgium’s world renowned classical orchestra, a 24 voice choir, and a 8-piece electric band. It. Was. Amazing. For information about upcoming US Tours, see the Night of the Proms website at http://www.notp.com/usa/http://www.notp.com/usa/. And special thanks to my good friend Joanna who went with me to see both Night of the Proms and Oklahoma!