About Me

My photo
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
I completed the 2016 Summer Program in the School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles. I received a BS Degree in Radio/TV from ASU and a MA Degree in Technical and Expository Writing from UALR. As a Cancer Survivor and a Widow, I hope I can help others through my Blog http://leslieinlittlerock.blogspot.com/ Twitter @leslieinlr and Instagram @leslieinlittlerock accounts.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Movie Review - The Impossible






Starring:
  • Naomi Watts as Maria
  • Ewan McGregor as Henry
  • Tom Holland as Lucas
  • Samuel Joslin as Thomas
  • Oaklee Pendergast as Simon

Release Date:  Friday, January 4, 2013

Running Time:  114 minutes

Genre:  Drama, Thriller

Director: Juan Antonio Bayona

Writers: Sergio G. Sanchez (screenplay) and Maria Belon (story)

Rating:  PG-13 for intense realistic disaster sequences, including disturbing injury images and brief nudity.

Brief Description: An account of a family caught, with tens of thousands of strangers, in the mayhem of one of the worst natural catastrophes of our time.



"The Impossible" is a very intense and emotional movie and is the true story of a family of five from Spain that were separated in the tsunami that hit Thailand during Christmas 2004. The movie is based on the book written by Maria Belon and is an account of how she and her husband and three young sons found themselves fighting for survival during a natural disaster which killed 240,000 people in 14 countries.

I'm not sure why, but in the movie the family is from England, living in Japan while they are on vacation in Thailand. During several movie reviews I read, there was speculation that the family was changed from Spanish to English because it would be more marketable to English speaking countries.

The special effects in this movie, along with the acting and cinematography is outstanding. It also contains a very good performance by newcomer Tom Holland as Lucas, the oldest son.

It's a hard movie to watch, but is worth it in the end.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie,
    I saw the trailer for this movie and have been wanting to see it. The preview made my heart beat fast a couple times. I can't imagine what the family went through to survive such a tragedy.
    Thanks for the review of "The Impossible"; I will add it to my list of movies I want to see. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete